Formula 1

Your latest sports news relating to formula 1

Silverstone adds extra tyre barrier after Kvyat crash
Everything, Formula 1

Silverstone adds extra tyre barrier after Kvyat crash

Daniil Kvyat's high-speed crash in last weekend's British Grand Prix has prompted the FIA to add an extra layer of protection to the barrier on the outside of Becketts. A puncture in the early part of last Sunday's race pitched Kvyat into a spin as the Russian entered the rapid Maggotts left-hander. The AlphaTauri violently hit the outside uncovered concrete wall but Kvyat fortunately emerged unscathed from the wreck. The FIA has subsequently reinforced the area's safety by adding a tyre barrier in front of the wall ahead of this weekend's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix. Onboard footage shows Kvyat crash caused by puncture "A tyre barrier approximately 36m long has been installed at the rear of the Turn 11 run-off area," said FIA race director Michael Masi. Silverstone also added new kerbin...
Mercedes officially extends Bottas’ contract for 2021
Everything, Formula 1

Mercedes officially extends Bottas’ contract for 2021

Mercedes has confirmed that Valtteri Bottas will remain with the world championship winning squad until at least the end of 2021. Bottas - an eight-time Grand Prix winner with Mercedes - will embark next year on his fifth consecutive season with the Brackley outfit, while teammate Lewis Hamilton has yet to seal another deal with the Black Arrows team. "I'm very happy to stay with Mercedes in 2021 and build on the success we've enjoyed together already," said the Finn. "Thank you to everyone in the team and the wider Mercedes family for their continued support and their trust in me. I'm very proud to represent this great team and the three-pointed star on our journey together again next year. "The past few years have been all about continuous improvement, working on every aspect of my perfo...
Vettel deal with Racing Point reportedly done and dusted!
Everything, Formula 1

Vettel deal with Racing Point reportedly done and dusted!

Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport claims that Sebastian Vettel will swap red for pink next season, the German having reportedly agreed to a multi-year deal with Aston Martin Racing. Speculation about Vettel's future ramped up a notch last month following rumors of talks taking place between the four-time world champion and Racing Point. Team boss Otmar Szafnauer repeatedly said the team had contracts with both its drivers for 2021 and intended to honour those deals, while also acknowledging the Silverstone-based outfit's interest in Vettel. Perez approached by rival team amid Vettel rumors Lance Stroll's seat at Racing Point is safe for obvious reasons while an exit clause or special provisions in Sergio Perez's contract may have allowed the team to terminate the deal prematurely. La Gazzetta...
Ferrari: Both drivers must ‘make the most’ of current package
Everything, Formula 1

Ferrari: Both drivers must ‘make the most’ of current package

Ferrari head of performance development Enrico Cardile says the Scuderia must do everything that is in its power to allow both its drivers to get the most out of its current package this weekend at Silverstone. Last weekend's first round of racing at the British track saw Charles Leclerc qualify reasonably well in fourth place, the Monegasque following up that performance with a podium on Sunday, achieved with a bit of luck following the tyre drama that marred the end of the race for Mercedes. But Sebastian Vettel was on the back foot from the outset, losing track time on Friday and Saturday morning after a few gremlins crept in and never feeling comfortable with the handling of his SF1000 on race day. Berger would advise Vettel to retire from F1 "Last weekend’s ambivalent result s...
‘Clean’ Hamilton stands above Senna and Schumacher – Walker
Everything, Formula 1

‘Clean’ Hamilton stands above Senna and Schumacher – Walker

Legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker believes that Lewis Hamilton's impeccable track record in F1 puts the six-time world champion above Grand Prix greats Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher. With three wins in four races so far this season, Hamilton is off to a flying start to equal Schumacher's historic record of seven titles in F1, while the German's tally of 91 Grands prix wins is also at risk of being overhauled by the Mercedes star. Debating who is the greatest F1 driver of all time is a futile exercise given the vastly different environments in which each generation raced. Brawn: Mind blowing last lap 'judged to perfection' by Hamilton In a podcast with the Australian Grand Prix's 'Fast Lane', Walker doesn't exactly succumb to the useless determination but nevertheless reasons w...
Formula E chairman Agag tests positive for COVID-19
Everything, Formula 1

Formula E chairman Agag tests positive for COVID-19

Formula E co-founder and chairman Alejandro Agag was absent from the series' reprise yesterday at Tempelhof Airport in Berlin, having tested positive for COVID-19. Agag is the second prominent member of the FE paddock to test positive for the coronavirus after Mahindra team boss Dilbagh Gill's own positive case was revealed on Tuesday. "Congratulations for a great win in Berlin race one," Agag wrote on Instagram alongside a picture of Wednesday's race winner Antonio Felix da Costa. "So sad to miss my first Formula E race ever, that I had to watch from my room in Berlin. "I tested positive for COVID on arrival and I am following all the excellent protocols we have in place to keep everyone safe. "Missing everyone in the Paddock!" Berlin E-Prix: Da Costa reigns supreme in chaotic FE reprise...
Berlin E-Prix: Da Costa reigns supreme in chaotic FE reprise
Everything, Formula 1

Berlin E-Prix: Da Costa reigns supreme in chaotic FE reprise

Antonio Felix da Costa conquered his second Formula E win of the season in Berlin, the DS Techeetah charger dominating an otherwise frantic reprise for FE. The all-electric series which was interrupted after five rounds last spring following the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic has taken up a six-race residency at Berlin's Templehof airport that will conclude Formula E's 2019-20 campaign. Da Costa and DS teammate Jen-Eric Vergne sprung into action from the front row of the grid to lead the field into Turn 1 from Sebastien Buemi and André Lotterer. The leading pair built itself a small margin over its rivals in the first part of the race which was interrupted on lap 9 when Robin Frijns hit the wall and brought out the Safety car. André Lotterer - Porsche On the restart, the ...
McLaren names di Resta reserve for 70th Anniversary GP
Everything, Formula 1

McLaren names di Resta reserve for 70th Anniversary GP

McLaren has recruited Paul di Resta as its official reserve driver for this weekend's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone. The former Force India charger, who subbed for Felipe Massa at Williams in 2017, underwent a seat fitting at Woking on Wednesday as a matter of precaution. McLaren has an agreement with Mercedes to call upon its reserve drivers in the event that either Carlos Sainz or Lando Norris should become unavailable. But Stoffel Vandoorne is committed to Mercedes' Formula E efforts in Berlin while Esteban Gutierrez does not currently hold a proper superlicence. Mercedes: Reserve driver Gutierrez not eligible to race in F1 While McLaren isn't forecasting any issues with its drivers, the case of Racing Point's Sergio Perez, who tested positive for the coronavirus last wee...
Ocon seeking ‘even better’ result in second Silverstone race
Everything, Formula 1

Ocon seeking ‘even better’ result in second Silverstone race

Renault's Estbean Ocon is seeking to double down on his sixth-place finish in the British Grand Prix and even improve on that result in this week's second round of racing at Silverstone. Ocon drove a solid race last weekend, performing among the top mid-field contenders, completing behind Daniel Ricciardo Renault's productive weekend and claiming his best result in F1 since the 2018 Italian Grand Prix. Ricciardo puts Grosjean's moves on drivers' briefing agenda "We worked hard to find improvements to make sure we went into Silverstone knowing a good result was possible," said the Frenchman. "The car was awesome in the race. It helped that we had a decent start, keeping my place and staying close to a group of cars ahead. "We managed the Hard tyre really well and had good pace at the end ...
Mercedes: Reserve driver Gutierrez not eligible to race in F1
Everything, Formula 1

Mercedes: Reserve driver Gutierrez not eligible to race in F1

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that in hindsight, reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez would not have been eligible to race with Racing Point in the British Grand Prix for lack of an up to date superlicence. Gutierrez was cited along with fellow Mercedes reserve Stoffel Vandoorne as potential candidates to substitute for Racing Point's Sergio Perez who was sidelined from last weekend's race after testing positive for the coronavirus. However, Vandoorne was quickly rules out as the Belgian was in Berlin preparing for the resumption of Mercedes' campaign in Formula E. Gutierrez was therefore seen as a contender for the Racing Point seat along with F1 returnee Nico Hulkenberg who was ultimately chosen for the task. Racing Point says 'sheared clutch bolt' sealed Hulkenberg's fate But it later tra...
McLaren turns projects back on – resumes F1 ‘masterplan’
Everything, Formula 1

McLaren turns projects back on – resumes F1 ‘masterplan’

McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown says the Woking-based outfit has now resumed the crucial infrastructure masterplan that was halted earlier this year by the COVID-19 pandemic. At the outset of 2020, McLaren was scheduled to implement a plan devised by team boss Andreas Seidl which included a new windtunnel and simulator facility. But the onslaught of the coronavirus and its impact on Formula 1 led to a period of uncertainty that forced the papaya squad to put its projects on the backburner. While the pandemic continues to linger, a recent influx of fresh capital has allowed McLaren to resume its plan destined to carry the team back to the front of the grid and into the winner's circle. Bullish Brown says McLaren now 'financially healthy' "Now we’re – I’m reluctant to call ...
Kubica on duty again in FP1 session with Alfa Romeo
Everything, Formula 1

Kubica on duty again in FP1 session with Alfa Romeo

Robert Kubica will enjoy his third FP1 outing in five races on Friday at Silverstone, the Polish driver taking over Antonio Giovinazzi's Alfa Romeo for the morning practice session. Kubica put mileage under his belt during free practice for the Styrian and Hungarian Grands Prix, the Alfa Romeo squad relying on the 35-year-old's valuable technical feedback to help it improve its troubled C39. "I am happy to get back behind the wheel in this busy early part of the season," Kubica said. "Driving an F1 car is always special, but even more so in a place like Silverstone. "The track has so much history and it’s one that tests both driver and machine: it’s one of the great venues of motorsport and driving around here, even without the fans, gives you such a buzz. "My main focus, howe...
Ricciardo puts Grosjean’s moves on drivers’ briefing agenda
Everything, Formula 1

Ricciardo puts Grosjean’s moves on drivers’ briefing agenda

Daniel Ricciardo will seek the opinion of his peers in this Friday's drivers' briefing on the defensive moves committed by Haas' Romain Grosjean in last weekend's British Grand Prix. Ricciardo sparred with the Frenchman in the race and struggled to overhaul the Haas driver who executed several defensive moves under braking against the Renault charger but also McLaren's Carlos Sainz. Grosjean's antics were eventually called out by the stewards who handed a post-race warning to the Frenchman, but the latter was unapologetic, insisting his maneuvers were perhaps extreme but within the rules. Ricciardo surprised by late stage pace on hard tyres But Ricciardo wants clarification once and for all on the moves, believing that an "open conversation" on the matter between the drivers will perhaps...
Pirelli: No need to call into question softer tyres for Silverstone 2
Everything, Formula 1

Pirelli: No need to call into question softer tyres for Silverstone 2

Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola has alleviated fears linked to using a softer selection of compounds for Silverstone's second race after last weekend's tyre dramas. Pirelli's analysis of the failures that befell Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton and Carlos Sainz concluded that excessive wear due to unexpectedly long stints had contributed to the successive ruptures in the closing stages of the British Grand Prix. Speculation was rife in the paddock on Sunday evening that Pirelli would need to call into question its tyre selection for this week's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at the Northamptonshire track. To add a variable for Silverstone's second race, F1's tyre supplier had nominated a softer selection, relying on the C2, C3 and C4 rubber and therefore dismissing the C1 hard tyre that failed las...
Ferrari F1 revenue takes massive hit amid COVID-19 crisis
Everything, Formula 1

Ferrari F1 revenue takes massive hit amid COVID-19 crisis

Ferrari unsurprisingly announced on Monday a decline in its financials for the second quarter of 2020, with its revenue derived from F1 taking a significant hit because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Italian sports car manufacturer saw its net Q2 profit fall from €184m last year to a mere €9m for the April-June period, as a drop in sales impacted its top and bottom lines. But the disrupted F1 season, marked by the late start of the 2020 campaign, the cancellation of many races and a final calendar that will likely include no more than 16 events out of the 22 that were initially scheduled, has taken its toll on the Scuderia's numbers. Binotto to focus only on team boss role amid Ferrari changes "It’s clearly in the high tens of millions, in terms of the hit," Ferrari CEO Lo...